J.B. Johnstone tailors was founded in 1820 and acquired the firm of Hogg & Sons of Hanover Square after the Second World War. The firm, now called Hogg, Sons & JB Johnstone Ltd, moved to Clifford Street in the 1980s and traded until 1999. In the 1980s it had also acquired Tautz & Co (founded 1820).
The firms specialised in military uniforms and the University of Westminster Archive holds the two regulation books from the firm which detail the tailoring and dress regulations for army and navy (UK and overseas) regiments, European royalty, Hunts, civil servants and ancient societies. They include numerous fabric samples, sketches and even watercolours of the uniforms.