Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Library Guides

Copyright for Students: My Work

What do we need to know?

Using University library resources for employment or work placement

Materials that you access via the library will usually be licensed to the University for use by students and staff for educational purposes.

This does not permit those materials being used for commercial purposes such as a student’s employment, or shared while on work placement.

There is a risk a copyright owner will contact the institution complaining that material is being used contrary to the licence terms and seeking payment for commercial use, from the institution or the work placement provider/employer.

Infringement may also result in disciplinary action taken against you by your college or university and loss of reputation with the work placement provider/employer for both you and your institution


My copyright

Copyright is everywhere and everyone is creating copyright all the time.

Become aware of your copyright at Copyright Aware


Open access resources

symbol open access

You will be able to use Open Access resources when on work placement or in employment. These are freely available academic sources that can be accessed from anywhere. 

Readers of Open Access publications  are allowed to redistribute, re-use and adapt the content in new works (in accordance with the
Creative Commons licence selected).

It's good practice to check the copyright status of each item that has been published via open access.Remember to ACKNOWLEDGE your sources.

This guide is a starting point for finding high quality open access resources that you will be able to use in your workplace instead of materials you would access from the Library when you are studying.


This guidance provides an overview of the main copyright/IP issues for students at the University of Westminster.
It should not be taken as legal advice.
If you require legal advice, you should seek the services of a suitably qualified and experienced legal professional.